This keto baked feta pasta with tomatoes is my low carb take on the viral TikTok sensation. Using spaghetti squash in place of pasta makes it a dish that low carbers and non-low carbers alike can enjoy.
After about the 100th time I saw this viral pasta recipe on TikTok, I just knew that I had to make a low carb baked feta pasta version. It’s just too good to not have circulating around the low carb world also. But to give credit where credit is due, I had to do some digging to find the actual origin. From what I could trace back, the original version was created in 2019 by a Finnish food blogger named Jenni Häyrinen. TikTok got ahold of it in late 2020 and the rest is history.
Most of the versions I saw were simply tomato, feta, olive oil, salt, pepper, and pasta. But I had to kick things up a notch and add a whole lot of garlic, some balsamic vinegar, red pepper flakes, dried Italian seasoning, more feta, some Parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper. In fact, it took some restraint to not keep adding more flavor. But I did want to keep it close to the original viral TikTok pasta, but with my own flair and a low carb and gluten free spin, of course.
For more delicious ideas of ways you can mix up this Keto Baked Feta Pasta with Tomatoes, check out my list of substitutions and variations below. The possibilities are endless.
Ingredients in baked feta pasta
- spaghetti squash
- grape tomatoes
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- fresh basil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- red pepper flakes
- dried Italian seasoning
Substitutions and Variations
- In place of the feta cheese in this low carb tomato feta pasta recipe, you can substitute goat cheese, cream cheese, brie, ricotta, gorgonzola, cottage cheese or a combination of any of your favorite soft cheeses.
- You don’t have to use block feta cheese for this baked feta pasta recipe, crumbles will work just fine
- Not a fan of tomatoes? Try it with any of your favorite vegetables
- For a creamier sauce, add a little heavy cream in when you are mixing everything together
- If you don’t have dried Italian seasoning, you can use oregano, rosemary or even herbes de Provence
- Not a fan of basil? Sub in some fresh parsley
- Add a splash of white wine to the tomatoes before cooking
- Add a protein like chicken or shrimp
- Use eggplant in place of or in addition to the tomatoes
- Instead of mixing up the roasted tomatoes and feta after it comes out of the oven, serve it as an appetizer with toasted crostini
- Instead of spaghetti squash, you could use zucchini noodles, cabbage, Shirataki noodles or even roasted cauliflower
- Not concerned with keeping it low carb? Substitute your favorite pasta or even rice
- Add some fresh spinach and kalamata olives
- Add diced onion or even onion powder
- Zest some lemon on top of the tomatoes before roasting
More low carb pasta recipes you might enjoy
- Keto Fettuccine Alfredo with Pesto Chicken and Broccoli
- Mediterranean Zucchini Noodle Pasta
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna
- Spaghetti Squash Alfredo with Pancetta and Peas
- Buffalo Chicken Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Cabbage Noodle Tuna Casserole
- Spaghetti Squash Carbonara
- “Just Like the Real Thing” Lasagna
- Sesame Ginger Noodles
- Rainbow Vegetable Noodles
- Caramelized Onion and Prosciutto Mac and Cheese
Keto Baked Feta Pasta with Tomatoes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Pasta
- 1 large spaghetti squash or 2 small, halved and seeded
- 8 ounce block feta cheese
- 3 cups grape tomatoes (2 pints)
- 1 small bulb garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 5 fresh basil leaves, torn
- ½ cup shredded parmesan cheese, optional
- cracked black pepper, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drizzle the spaghetti squash halves with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the spaghetti squash for 45 minutes, or until the shreds easily pull away from the skin and are tender.
- Place the block of feta cheese in a the center of a large baking dish. Add the tomatoes to the dish and place them all around the feta.
- Slice the top off of the bulb of garlic, exposing all of the cloves and add it to the baking dish with the tomatoes and the feta.
- Drizzle the olive oil and balsamic over top of the feta, tomatoes and garlic.
- Sprinkle over the salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes. Toss the tomatoes so that they are evenly coated in the oil, vinegar, and seasonings.
- Add the the baking dish to the oven with the spaghetti squash and cook for 30 minutes, or until the tomatoes are just about to burst, the cheese is melty, with a golden brown top, and the garlic is roasted.
- Once they are done, squeeze the garlic cloves out of the bulb into the baking dish with the tomatoes.
- Using a fork, gently start popping the tomatoes, mashing the garlic, and mixing them into the cheese as you go. This will be the sauce for you pasta.
- Add the fresh torn basil and the roasted spaghetti squash and toss until the squash is evenly coated in the sauce.
- Top with Parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper before serving.
net carbs per serving: 9.1g
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 224
- Fat: 17.7g
- Carbohydrates: 11.3g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Protein: 6.6g
Keywords: keto baked feta pasta, low carb tomato feta pasta, low carb pasta recipes, viral tomato feta pasta